WBS requirement will be ending soon
Please note the WBS requirement will be ending soon. As of 1 September 2018, all students should have started PPD.
The work-based skills requirement applied to all students who joined after 30 June 2004.
What are work-based skills?
The aim of the work-based skills (WBS) requirement is to help you to demonstrate that you have put into practice the actuarial theory you gain through taking the exams.
What do I need to do?
You can find full details about this requirement in our Guide to work-based skills, but in summary you will need to do the following:
- Appoint a supervisor - this should be somebody that oversees your work and who you meet with every 6-12 months to discuss and sign off your work based skills logs.
- Complete learning logs - These are records of your "on the job" experience. They should include specific examples of work you have carried out and should contain a detailed explanation of how you have demonstrated the particular dimension in the workplace.
- Answer review questions - These are pieces of written work, presentations or other work which you have produced and they must be discussed and signed off by your supervisor. They should be written in an essay style and contain be between 500-1000 words. Bullet points may be used within the essay.
Please read our Guide to work-based skills for further information.
What do I have to do once I have passed all the exams and have at least the minimum amount of work-based skills records?
- You will need to meet with your supervisor for a final time and complete a final sign off form.
- You will need to submit your learning logs, final sign off form and payment to Education Services within 60 days of completing the final learning log.
- You will need to complete the ‘PPD Presentation Sign Off Form’ if you have passed the CP3 exam in the September 2017, April 2018 or September 2018 exams. If you have passed CA3, you don’t need to complete the presentation form. Visit the PPD Presentation page to find out more about the PPD presentation form.
How should I send my logs?
- Logs should be emailed in either a PDF or Word format (no jpeg or photos) clearly labelled and in date order. For example: Log 1 and ARN; Log 2 and ARN; Final Sign Off and ARN; Review question C3 and ARN etc.
- If logs are not received in this format they will be sent back to you to correct before they can be processed.
- You may post your logs to Education Services if you prefer.
- If you are submitting a mixture of Work-based Skills and PPD this should be indicated clearly in date order on the final sign off form with any gaps explained.
To be recorded as a 2018 qualifier you will need to meet the following deadlines by:
|Friday 18 January 2019||Send us all your learning logs and review questions, and a final sign off form completed and signed by a Fellow of an International Actuarial Association.|
|Monday 25 February 2019||Resolve any final queries on your documents and have these signed off by us.|
|Friday 4 March 2019||Sign and return the transfer form that we will send you.|
- 13 June 2018
- 6 May 2015
- 7 November 2018
- 21 June 2018
You might also like
General information and practical advice that will be useful in your studies
Education Services Team
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, 1st Floor, Park Central, 40/41 Park End Street, Oxford, OX1 1JD
We aim to respond to all enquiries within two working days.