Please note that we only grant exemptions from the following Core Technical subjects: CT1, CT2, CT3 and CT7 until 31 December 2018. We do not grant exemptions from the following subjects CT4, CT5, CT6 and CT8.
From 1 January 2019 you can only apply via this route for CS1, CB1 and CB2. Please note we cannot grant exemptions from the following subjects: CM1, CM2, CS2 or CB3.
How do I apply?
You will need to demonstrate that your degree covered the IFoA subjects that you wish to apply for exemptions from.
To do this, you will need to provide the following information:
- A certified copy of your official full university transcript which should include marks for all modules taken in each academic year of the degree.
- A certified copy of your university degree certificate which is received after graduating.
- A copy of the official syllabus of the Institute and Faculty of Actuaries for each subject applied for with full explanatory hand written notes next to each key objective, indicating where this has been covered in your university syllabus. We can only accept notes on a printout of our official syllabus, which can be downloaded from our website. If your copy of our syllabus has been typed or written by the applicant, the exemption application will be returned.
- An official copy of your university syllabus from the time period of your study.
- Details of the assessment methods for your degree, including exam papers or confirmation of exam duration from your university.
- Documents (transcripts, degree certificate, exam papers, syllabus etc) in any other language than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.
You must include all the documents listed above to show that you have achieved the required standards in those parts of the degree course that cover the key objectives of the Institute and Faculty exams that you are applying for exemption from.
NOTE: Please provide certified copies of your documentation. We cannot accept responsibility for loss of your original documents.
What happens next?
We will review whether your degree covered enough of the IFoA syllabus(es) and check whether your marks were high enough.
We will then inform you in writing of the outcome of your exemption application.
You might also like
General information and practical advice that will be useful in your studies
Education Services Team
Institute and Faculty of Actuaries, 1st Floor, Park Central, 40/41 Park End Street, Oxford, OX1 1JD
We aim to respond to all enquiries within two working days.